Email: | Call: 0800 862 769

What is happening?

The Government will transfer ownership and management of 1138 Housing New Zealand properties and tenancies in Tauranga to a new landlord, Accessible Properties from 1 April 2017.

When you get a new landlord:

  • Your rent will not change as a result of the transfer.
  • You will continue to be housed for as long as you are eligible for social housing.
  • Your eligibility will continue to be assessed by the Ministry of Social Development, as it is now.
  • You will have the same rights as you do now, and Accessible Properties will have the same responsibilities as Housing New Zealand has now.

Why is this happening?

The Government’s Social Housing Reform Programme aims to encourage and develop more diverse ownership of social housing, resulting in more innovation and responsiveness to tenants and communities. As part of this work, the Government is transferring ownership and management of some Housing New Zealand houses to selected Community Housing Providers.

Can I keep Housing New Zealand as my landlord ?

No, you won’t be able to stay with Housing New Zealand. It’s important to remember that your new landlord would have to provide the same, or better, services than you get now from Housing New Zealand. You should know that:

  • you will be well looked after throughout the transfer process, whether you are dealing with Housing New Zealand or Accessible Properties.
  • Accessible Properties is an established, independent social housing provider that is registered and regulated by the Government.
  • Your rent will not change as a result of having a new landlord.
  • Your rights as a tenant will continue to be protected by law, as they are now.

If I have concerns about my property or tenancy who should I call?

Contact Accessible Properties on 0800 862 769 if you want to talk about your tenancy or  property.

Will my maintenance still be done by the same people?

There will be no difference to the way your maintenance is done. You will still call your landlord, as you do now. The only difference is that from 1 April 2017 you will call your new landlord, Accessible Properties, to get maintenance work done.

What if I have other questions?

Any questions about the transfer of properties can be emailed to or you can read more at

Updates on Government’s Social Housing Reform Programme can be found at:

To talk about your income-related rent or a change in circumstances, you can call the Ministry of Social Development on 0800 673 468.

To talk about your benefit you can call the Ministry of Social Development on 0800 559 009.

To talk about your property or tenancy, you can call Accessible Properties on 0800 862 769.