Public housing

Accessible Properties has public housing in Christchurch, Wellington, Hamilton, Tauranga and Auckland. Some of these properties are modified for accessibility. You need to meet certain criteria to qualify for public housing.

How to apply for public housing

If you would like to apply for public housing, including an Accessible Properties home, you first need to talk to the Ministry of Social Development (MSD) about your housing needs. If you are eligible you will be put on the housing register. We work with MSD to provide placement of applicants on the housing register.

How to get on the social housing register

Check that you are eligible

Go to the Work and Income website to see if you fit the criteria for public housing. If you need help, call Work and Income on 0800 559 009 or if you are over 65 ring Senior Services on 0800 552 002.

Get in touch with Work and Income

If you think you are eligible for public housing call Work and Income on 0800 559 009 to apply.

If you get NZ Super or Veteran's Pension, call Senior Services on 0800 552 002.

Work and Income will talk with you about your situation and if they think you are eligible, they will book a housing assessment interview for you.

For more information on the application process go to the Work and Income website.

What happens next

MSD will pass the register on to us and if a suitable property becomes available, we will get in touch with you. Placements will give preference to people with disabilities who need support to live in the community and are on low incomes.

Remember to let MSD know straight away if anything changes for you or your partner (if you have one) such as your income or living situation.

For more information on waiting for public housing go to the Work and Income website.

If you need emergency housing

We don't provide emergency accommodation. If you need emergency housing, please see our emergency housing providers page for a list of places that may be able to help.

Find other housing providers

To find other housing providers, go to the Community Housing members' directory.