Email: | Call: 0800 862 769

Tenancy Agreement

Tenancy Agreement2018-09-10T10:54:29+00:00

Under the Residential Tenancies Act, all tenancies entered into after 1 December 1996 must have a written Tenancy Agreement which sets out the particular conditions that have been agreed to. Both landlord and tenant sight it and the landlord must give the tenant a copy before the tenancy begins.

Our Responsibilities

If we enter into a tenancy agreement with you, we will:

  • Make sure your house or flat is in good condition and that the locks and fastenings are adequate
  • Make sure your house meets building codes and health and safety standards
  • Arrange for essential repairs to be done as quickly as possible
  • Give you 24 hours notice before doing any planned maintenance work
  • Give you 48 hours notice before an inspection
  • Ensure there are working smoke alarms in your property and replace, where applicable, with smoke alarms with long life batteries
  • Inform you of what insulation is in your property and ensure that we meet all requirements as a social housing landlord
  • Accessible Properties adheres to all requirements under the Health and Safety at Work Act. All contractors Accessible Properties uses have signed Health and Safety forms. If you notice anything that you think might not be safe or a healthy way of working please contact so we can deal with this. Please state the name of the contractor (if known), works being completed, date and time and what you believe they have done wrong

Accessible Properties will test for Methamphetamine before your tenancy commences, may test on inspection and will test when your tenancy ends.

All Tenancy Managers are certified samplers and have completed the MethSolutions Certified Samplers training programme, which permits Tenancy Managers to undertake indicative sampling of property using the MethDNA Indicative Sampling Kit. If testing results in higher than accepted Ministry of Health Guidelines further testing will be done.

Tenant Responsibilities

By signing the tenancy agreement, you agree that you will:

  • Pay your rent on time
  • Keep your house and garden tidy and not damage the property – if friends, family or visitors damage the property, you need to pay for the repairs
  • Call us when repairs are needed
  • Pay your phone and power bills, and for light bulbs and water rates if applicable
  • Insure your furniture or belongings against damage, fire or theft
  • Let us know immediately if your income, your partners income or the number of people living in your house or unit changes – if you’re paying income related rent
  • Leave the property clean and tidy, remove all your possessions, and return all sets of keys when you move out
  • Consider your neighbours
  • Not let anyone else rent your house or let anyone other than you and your family live there without our permission
  • Not use the property for an unlawful purpose or let anyone else use it for unlawful purposes
  • Not change the locks on your house or flat without our agreement

You need to keep your house in good condition and call us as soon as you can about any damage.  You also need to pay for any damage caused, such as:

  • Burns, stains, marks and scratches
  • Accidents such as broken windows
  • Damage from building or repair work you have done
  • Forced entry or damage that you may have caused

If you misplace your keys or lock yourself out you can either arrange a locksmith yourself or call us and we will arrange a new key for you. There will be a charge for replacement keys.

Breach of Responsibilities

If you break the conditions of your agreement and it is something that can be fixed, we will ask you to fix the problem within 14 days.  If you don’t fix the problem, we will ask the MBIE for mediation or go direct to the Tenancy Tribunal to end your tenancy and get you to pay any money owed to us.

If you are having difficulty paying your rent, let us know immediately as we may be able to help you with other subsidies such as:

  • More suitable arrangements to pay money you owe
  • Offer suggestions to help you get budget advice

If you break the conditions of your agreement, and it has a serious impact on us or any other person, we will ask the Tenancy Tribunal to end your tenancy immediately.


Mediation is a way for people to sort our problems with the help of a trained, impartial person.  The mediator will try to help the people in a dispute to come to an agreement that works for both parties.

For more information about mediation, contact:

Ministry of Building, Innovation and Employment Tenancy Services
0800 TENANCY (0800 83 62 62)

The Tenancy Tribunal

The Tenancy Tribunal is a court set up to deal with unresolved problems between tenants and landlords.  We may apply for a Tenancy Tribunal Order if you:

  • Owe more than 21 days rent
  • Have caused or threatened to cause substantial damage to your house or garden
  • Have assaulted or threatened to assault an Accessible Properties staff member or neighbour
  • Have had 14 days notice to do something under the tenancy agreement but haven’t done it
  • Have broken one or more of the terms of your tenancy agreement with us and the problem cannot be resolved
  • Have used or allowed your house or unit to be used for illegal activities
  • For more information about the Tenancy Tribunal, contact the Ministry of Building, Innovation and Employment Tenancy Services on 0800 TENANCY (0800 83 62 62).


If you have a complaint, concern or feedback about Accessible Properties please talk to your Tenancy Manager. You can also write a letter of complaint and email it to (please mark ‘complaint’ in the subject line), or send it to:

Manager – Tenancy Services
Accessible Properties New Zealand Ltd
PO Box 1974
Wellington 6010

If you’re not satisfied with the result, you may decide to apply for mediation or to go to the Tenancy Tribunal. Application forms are available from all MBIE offices.  There is an application fee of approx $20.00

MBIE also provides free advice for tenants.

Independent advice for Tenants

There are times when you may need help for things like budgeting, or legal advice. Your local Citizens Advice Bureau is the best place to call.

0800 FOR CAB or 0800 367 222

If you have a support worker you can also talk to them about any problems you may have.